Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day

It doesn't get much better than Labor Day weekend in New York City with this weather. In my homily yesterday I said that Labor Day is kind of a strange holiday when we celebrate work by taking off from WORK. Shouldn't we actually be working OVERTIME to celebrate work? Honestly, most of us don't want to so much celebrate work, as be done with it. But that may be one of the problems. Many people are dissatisfied with what they do for a living. The ideal that our jobs are fulfilling and help us to create and make a positive contribution is just that- an ideal. I'm lucky that my vocation is interwoven with my "job" and I get to have real fulfillment in what I do as a priest. Many simply don't have that. I feel badly for people who have to drag themselves to work everyday because they really don't want to be there. A long time ago I heard a call to leave Wall Street and that "prosperous" track behind. And I've never looked back. I'm so happy I had the ears to hear that voice beckoning me into another way of living and viewing the world. I can't imagine what my life would have been had I taken a different turn. And I'm still so excited for all that lies ahead. So, workers of the world unite! And here's hoping that more of us can actually celebrate our LABORS and find true fulfillment in what we do. Enjoy being OFF from WORK today! Blessings+

No comments: